Monday, November 2, 2015

Cool Eyes...


As far as I know I have never posted any Jazz on Spools before, primarily because I don't really listen to any. However I am a bit partial to a little slice of Horace Silver. I could probably fit everything I know about Jazz on the back of a postage stamp and apart from a couple of obligatory Miles Davis albums the only Jazz albums I own are by the pianist born Horace Ward Martin Tavares Silva. Both albums were bought for £1.00 in a Virgin closing down sale many years ago and don't come out of their sleeves too often but the other night I decided to give 6 Pieces Of Silver a wee spin and it wasn't too shabby at all. Recorded in 1956 for the Blue Note label I find it goes well with a nice botle of red. I read a couple of reviews earlier today that describe it as hard bop. I'm sure they are right, all I know is that after giving it another listen I might have to been too quick to dismiss Jazz music out of hand...then again maybe that's just the red wine talking...

Cool Eyes

7 comments:

  1. Mrs CC likes a bit of Jazz.Not for me I'm afraid although I can go a wee bit of Chet Baker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot I do have a Chet Baker album somewhere as well, will have to dig it out. My jazz collection is expanding by the day...

      Delete
  2. My postage stamp is probably about the same size as yours, Scott, but I do like a few artists from the golden age of Blue Note, including Horace. Some albums I like are Miles Smiles, Herbie Hancock's Takin' Off and, of course, Blue Train. Pretty obvious, I know. I'm also with CC on Chet Baker, particularly when he sang. Cool Eyes sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have room on my postage stamp to add a bit about dubstep as well. As a rule, jazz and I don't get on well at all. As much as I adore Cerys Matthews, when she gets the jazz out on her 6Music show, I generally turn over to 5 Live! I do have a bit of time for the classic singers though - Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, etc - but otherwise I'd rather have MrsRobster singing 'I'm In The Mood For Dancing'. Badly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great way to start the day. We don't hear jazz in our little corner of the internet often enough. I'm pouring another coffee and listening again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back, Scott! I may not understand the technical side of this era of jazz, but I too like to hear it now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad that Horace seems to have went down well. As I said I know very little about jazz and, like yourself Marie, don't really understand the technical side of this era but know what I like when I hear it and something about this album just hits the spot...

    ReplyDelete